2019 Washington, D.C. Year in Review
May: AAPI Salute to Service
- NAAAP DC partnered with 13 other AAPI organizations from the Washington D.C. community to honor and remember the fallen heroes who served our country. NAAAP DC received an invite from the sentinels of Arlington National Cemetery to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. Chapter board member, Major Sam Hong, represented the chapter as a wreath bearer.
June: Annual Picnic
- The chapter hosted their annual summer picnic with over 100 attendees. A cooking showdown during the picnic had members showcase their Asian dishes, and the attendees were the judges. The picnic was a great networking opportunity where the community was able to come together and enjoy each other’s company, eat food, and play games.
July: NAAAP Wellness – Authentic Self-Care
- It was an evening of wine and wellness! The DC chapter partnered with Bank of America and invited Jeanie Chang, Chapter President of the NC chapter and certified wellness professional, to discuss authentic self-care in the workplace and home. Members enjoyed a glass of wine while conversing about the topic of authentic self-care.
September: Dress for Success with Hugo Boss
- In preparation for the Diversity Career Fair, NAAAP DC partnered with Hugo Boss to host a workshop focusing on how to dress for an interview. This gave members the opportunity to learn how to enhance their personal image to impress their future employer. Members were given a 10% discount on anything purchased during the event, and Hugo Boss donated 10% of the total sales of the evening to the chapter.
October: Diversity Career Fair
- Over 700 professionals from the D.C., Maryland, and Virginia area attended the event. The Diversity Career Fair featured employers such as Amazon Web Services, the Central Intelligence Agency, Bank of America, BB&T, and several more. In concurrence with the career fair, the DC chapter hosted professional development workshops (salary negotiations, interviewing, and more), resume reviews, and professional headshots.